Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Top 5 Fall Style Points as I type in my jammies...at 2PM...on my birthday...jeesh.


KATE MOSS & RHIANNA: There is SO much to be said about NOT coordinating everything. How effortless and chic is Kate Moss? She's the muse for so many because she is so forward, and never looks like she spent over 15 min getting ready. Matching everylittlething is dated. With age Moss gets more and more simple. Rhianna is quite different from the latter queen, but can inspire in a totally different way. She pairs punk with lace...was the first to wear the gladiator heels, and can NOT be boxed in. Variety can be enjoyed in your closet, as well as your KFC bucket.

BASICS: I recently bought a pack of Hanes Men's T-shirts, and have been wearing them every day. This may be derived from my uniform clad childhood, but I love how simple and bright my face looks with white cotton. The v-neck somehow makes me look thinner, and seriously-men glance when you look confident in something loose. Someone at Macy's asked me if the shirt was JAMES PERSE!!!!! (MUA- AH AH AH AH AHH evil laugh) Leggings are great for yet another season (phew!), as well as cardigans-which I need to get my hands on. Classics will never fail you as long as you dress them to the SEASON!

BLUSH & LIPSTICK: Cheeks were tawny and contoured at Fashion Week. If you are not wearing bronzer or blush everyday, DO IT! Elizabeth Hurley insists that blush is the cosmetic she can't live without-if she's not a babe, I dunno who is! It makes you look like you LOVE your life. Thank heavens, lipstick is BACK! Wines, Reds, and cool Pinks are all the rage...but understand they must be MATTE. Anything else is garish and makes you look like a hooker. Blush can be worn without lipstick, however lipstick MUST be worn with a blush/bronzer. Starkness is so Shannen Doherty circa 90210. If using a lipliner, for the love of Gucci, please use a nude lipliner, or Outline and FILL IN with the pencil. There is nothing tackier than seeing a line around the mouth by 11:30! Nude glosses are still in and are the only thing to be paired with the smokey eye. (I wish my last name was Kardashian)

HAIR: Texture-Simple updos-Hairspray! Oh My! Try getting your hair razored the next time you get a trim. Ask for the stylist to thin out the bottom 1/3 length of your hair-it'll give you the ends that you see on great hair. Get bangs! Try short layers! Experiment! I sucked it up and have bronze and blonde streaks, and I'm SO glad I did it! Use DRY hairspray for EVERYTHING-esp updos. It allows you to build and build without getting drippy or crunchy-I love Air Control by Aveda.

VALUE OPINIONS: I listen when my little sister takes a head to toe look at me, and says, "Hanesy, you can not wear that". Despite my initial hurt outcries/defenses, I believe one must always heed the advice of those younger, BECAUSE they are younger. They are ahead of you and I when it comes to style. In general: they are blunt, realize how old you are, and are vain enough to not want to be seen with one so out of touch. This is NOT to be confused with wearing clothes that you are too old for. Wet Seal and Aeropostale are meant for tweens-look at how old the models are in the ads. While in the que, if those in front AND behind you, are talking about Homecoming-drop the hangers and RUN! For instance my celeb style obsession is Joy Bryant. She's my age, and looks like herself in whatever she wears-AND is styled by Rachel Zoe. In other words-EVERYONE can use a second opinion every now and then, despite your own diagnosis.

No comments: